Saturday, May 31, 2008

[wildlife]


Okay really not so wild! I was hanging around for a family session today and well, our lakes and ponds here attract some really pretty birds and crawly critters. I am not a wildlife shooter, nor do I play one on tv... hah. I won't tell you I have talent shooting outdoor animals other than the basics... but this little bird had me intrigued. He was very curious of me while I was shooting some shots of a heron and some ducks that keep bobbing in the water sticking their tookuses in the air. I got up to about 10 feet of him which was kinda cool (almost like shooting at the zoo... ;) ) before he flew off, but thankfully for my 70-200 I didn't need to be that close to snap off some fun shots. Can't remember the specs on the shot at all, and since I think I have heat stroke... I am gonna head to bed early!


So here is my bird. I love him and I think I will name him Alfred. (Although he is gray and this may mean that he is actually a girl?) DH is researching the bird for me as we speak! eerrr ahh type! Hahaha
Okay the scoop is... we think he is an adult Neotropic Cormorant and eats small fish, tadpoles, frogs and insects! Where was he at graduation the other night? Youch! I have been eaten alive by mosquitos! He is considered 'of LEAST concern' for conservation statuses eg: He is as common as a pigeon? Haha... But it is rare to see the non Mexican version this far North apparently! I got a bird lesson tonight so I thought I would share!
Want some more info on my little Alfred? Here you go! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neotropic_Cormorant

No comments:

Labels